View Poll Results: What type of business owner are you?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full-Time - currently capable of primary support of self/family

12 48.00%
  • Full-Time - Trying to develop business to the point it supports self/family.

6 24.00%
  • Part-Time - Still have to keep a "real" job while business is developing.

5 20.00%
  • Hobby Business - I may or may not ever be able to support self/family with business and that's O.K.

1 4.00%
  • None of Above - I don't have a business, but might someday and like to read about small businesses.

1 4.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What type of Business Owner are you?

Array

We've had 75 views and only 14 people take the poll so far.

C'mon - it won't hurt. Noone will send you unsolicited e-mails or anything

I'm pretty sure there is an answer that would fit anyone viewing this thread.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

No problem on the change. I don't mind. It's easy to change if you have the access.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

Part-time on my end, though it almost seems like a hobby! I'm careful not to use that word though.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

I'll explain the Hobby business. At least what I'm thinking of anyway. When we were selling advertising for our magazine, I would be amazed at how some of the small businesses in town could possibly make a profit. I.e. a coffee house that sells coffee for $3 a cup (or whatever). I would go in there at what I would think would be their prime time and they might have 2 customers. Same thing for some of the little gift shops in town. Then, I found out that many of them are run by the spouses of someone that has a very high paying job and they just wanted something to do with their time. They probably aren't making any money after they pay their rent etc., but they don't care. So, I called it just a hobby business.
    Steve B

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

That makes a bit more sense!

Well, I'm part-time for now. At some point, I'll be full-time, but that'll be years down the line after many certifications and college degrees.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

I voted the second option.......... (Full-Time - Trying to develop business to the point it supports self/family.)

Array

There's probably been several new members since this post was being viewed - so I thought I'd sent it back to the top to catch some of the new folks. Or, anyone else that missed it a couple months ago.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It might be interesting if we also started talking about our goals for business. Some people do want to be full time and some are happy with the hobby business. Maybe even some of our reasons for wanting to be in business.

For me it was mostly a lifestyle decision. I'm not my most productive between the hours of 9 to 5 on a daily basis. I also enjoy the responsibility of being responsible for my own success. When I worked for others I felt there was too much luck involved in the equation and I was never one to play political corporate games. I could tell I was only going to rise so far in any company and would never really feel all that connected to my job.

Having my own business changes that. I am connected and I can go as far as I'd like
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Very similar reasons for me. It's definitely hot a hobby however, three kids who aren't earning any money on their own yet.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

C'mon get those kids working already

It's interesting how many of us probably are in business more for the lifestyle than the money. Don't get me wrong I want to make as much money as I can, but I'm willing to trade some money in order to enjoy my life.