Thread: S-corp Distributions, Cap Gns & Income Reporting

Default S-corp Distributions, Cap Gns & Income Reporting

Been pulling my hair out so I decided to seek some insight before I go bald.

Here's the situation:

1. I own 100% of S-Co
    2. I had no basis in S-Co at the beginning of '13. (actually, the basis is negative. I've been distributed more than I've put in)
    3. S-Co had net income from operations of $30,000.

4. S-Co is a partner in a Partnership. It had no basis at beg of '13
    5. S-Co contributed $2000 to the Partnership in '13
    6. S-Co received $5145 in Partnership distributions in '13
    7. S-Co sold interest in Partnership for $50,000 in '13.

Questions:

a. If the S-corp distributes more money than my basis, is this excess reported on Sch D?

b. Am I correct in stating if the distribution wasn't more than my basis it would be reported on Sch E?

----

c. Is the 50k treated as S-corp income to me (K-1, line 16d ---> Sch E --->1040 Line 17) or do I account for this cap gain differently? (I'm hoping it flows thru to Sch D where I can offset the gain with a cap loss carry forward)

or

d. Do I just categorize all amounts as income? (ie. 50k+5145-2000=$53,145) . (no differentiating between net profit from operations vs cap gain)

Thank you sooooo much in advance. I hope all salient points have been properly provided.

pc

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I'd seriously consider getting the help of a CPA to answer these questions. These are not the type of questions someone self-preparing a return should handle.

a. If the S-corp distributes more money than my basis, is this excess reported on Sch D?
    Yes, this is a capital gain. Short-term or long-term depends on how long you've owned the shares.

b. Am I correct in stating if the distribution wasn't more than my basis it would be reported on Sch E?
    Correct. The 1120S K-1 should show the distribution.

c. Is the 50k treated as S-corp income to me (K-1, line 16d ---> Sch E --->1040 Line 17) or do I account for this cap gain differently? (I'm hoping it flows thru to Sch D where I can offset the gain with a cap loss carry forward)
    A capital gain does go to the K-1 and then eventually your Schedule E once you figure out how to calculate the gain.

d. Do I just categorize all amounts as income? (ie. 50k+5145-2000=$53,145) . (no differentiating between net profit from operations vs cap gain)
    See above.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."