Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to get a Domain Name and cost

Array

Most professional ecommerce sites start at around $2K on the low end and go up into the tens of thousands. It's a pretty wide range depending on what kind of functionality and design you're looking for. As one data point, I charge $3,000 for a basic ecommerce site and it goes up from there depending on additional options and specifics (although I am in the middle of tweaking my price list right now; that might go up or down a little...).

Domain costs vary widely... depending on the TLD (.com, .net, .org, .guru, .plumbing, etc), I'm paying anywhere from $8-$50/yr. As has been recommended by others, you should definitely get your domain separate from your hosting.

Hosting costs also vary. You mentioned that it will be e-commerce, and that pretty much throws shared hosting out the window unless you're willing to take on some serious risk. It is impossible for shared hosting to be PCI-compliant, and even if you're redirecting to a third party for checkout you're still subject to those requirements. The least expensive way around that is to probably use something like Shopify, though your customization options then are limited.

Design and development costs depend on what you want to do and how good of a designer, developer, or team that you want to work with. You mention wholesalers... Do they have an EDI system? Do they have a dropshipping service? If yes to either of those, you can greatly reduce your workload, but it's probably going to cost a lot. It just depends on what your time is worth to you.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support