Thread: Business Tax Question

Default Business Tax Question

I am going to be doing a promotion which will cost around $1500. I estimate that I will make $3000 back from this promotion. However, here is my problem. Even if I make $3000, won't I really only be breaking even? I will be paying taxes soon and isn't that essentially like taking that $3000 and then cutting it in half to $1500 again? Is there any way I can use the $1500 (its for rental space) as a write off on my taxes?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You should be able to deduct what you spend on the advertising for your earnings for the year. So you'd only be paying taxes on the $1500 above the $1500 you spent and not the full $3000. The money you spend is a business expense and you should be deducting that from Profit.

I'm not sure how you fill out taxes, but the 1040 schedule C is a net profit or loss form. The very first expense listed is advertising. I would think you fill in $1500 right there, which ultimately reduces what profit and income you show.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

as vangogh stated you can deduct advertising. Your accountant can give you more details. Or if you use a tax program, it should prompt you directly for advertising expenses.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Yes, expenses which are incurred to produce income are generally deductible. Advertising certainly falls in that category.

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

Who owns the rental? You personally (or a disregarded single-member LLC)? If so, rentals would flow through onto Schedule E. More often than not, rentals create losses.

Though I have a feeling you are not talking about rental property in the same context I am. But if you are, perhaps this information will provide you good use.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."