Thread: Forming a LLC, have some questions

Default Forming a LLC, have some questions

Hello-

I will be forming a LLC in the state of New Jersey and have some questions that I just can't seem to get the best answers.

- I am forming the LLC with my wife. Is this a good idea? Or should it be formed with 1 person and the other person serve as an employee?
    - I do not wish to provide my home address for the business, as people searching for my business will know my home address. Can I use a UPS mailbox?
    - When forming a LLC I am given a 1 year registered agent. Is this a person with an address that will accept legal documents?
    - When getting a business bank account, what address can be used ? Home address or mailbox address?

Thank you!

Banned
    Array

In order:

1. Before answering, I'd want to know more about what you're trying to accomplish. Generally speaking, the IRS now thinks of you and your wife as a single unit anyway for a lot of recent rulings, so you might not get enough benefits by having her be an LLC member... or you might. It comes back to what you're trying to accomplish.

2. Yes, but basically anyone can find you for $10 anyway these days, so why bother?

3. Yes

4. Whatever you want... you can give them the "business address" and have a mailing address for all paperwork... just like any business might do.

1. The reason I'm asking is my credit is not too great and I understand that my credit history will be used when forming a LLC and applying for checking account, etc. So best to leave my wife on the LLC alone and me act as employee?
    2. I would like to direct all contact to a mailing address.
    4. Won't the bank want to open the checking account for wherever the business is registered. I can't give them a mailing when I used my home address to register, can I ?

Banned
    Array

1. The bank doesn't care about your credit history for opening a bank account. And the government doesn't care when you form an LLC. No idea where you got your info about that.

4. The bank wants to see your LLC registration papers and to confirm that you are the managing member of the LLC. As for mailing address, it's wherever you want it.

1. Awesome, so even though I'm on chex systems, and currently unable to open a checking account at some banks, when I go in for a business account, this will not be considered?
    4. So I can get a mailbox with a street address and make this my LLC address?

5. In New Jersey, best to form LLC with husband and wife as members, or just one person?

Banned
    Array

There's a difference between "credit not too great" and kiting checks. It's going to be up to the bank to decide whether you are a fraud risk with this account.

4. Yes.

5. Doesn't matter the state so much as to whether you open it as one person or you and your wife. What matters is what you're wanting to accomplish doing each. Best to check with a local attorney or accountant to make sure you have the right structure for your company.