Thread: What do I need to have a storefront?

Default What do I need to have a storefront?

I'm a full time e-bay power seller. I'm running out of space to sort/store and pack items. I could get a unit at a storage facility, but for about the same cost, I could use a friend's vacant storefront on a month-to-month basis.

I'm not sure I want to take on the responsibility of actually having a B&M business, though. I'm seeking advice on what really goes into having a storefront. What liabilities am I taking on, do I need expensive insurance, what licenses would I need?

My plan is not to run a regular store. I would be using the space mostly for storage and packing. I do use Craigslist and Facebook for in person sales, so I would be "open" by appointment.

I deal mostly in antiques, paintings, collectibles, etc. The place is in Chicago, if that helps, at all.

Since your using someones property to store your inventory. Its recommended to get insurance to cover your inventory/property in case something was to happen while your doing business there. It would cover liability, fire, and so much more. If you dont have insurance, and something happens. It wont be pretty b/c you'll be liable for everything. Check with your state for collection of sales tax as it could be required due to business out of that location. You would need to have a business license as well. Theirs so much to cover. Heres an idea....contact a real estate agent and just TALK to them. To have a storefront store. It is going to cost !!. Hope this helps.
    David Hamlen-Owner
    Specialty Business Checks LLC