Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: strange human nature identified!

Array

the problem with fixtures is they cant shop around....Home Depot, Menards, Lowes all sell cut rate versions....every single one has plastic drains, sinks are factory seconds or extra thin.....their tubs are special versions made just for Home Depot...i cant even get them from my suppliers...they are 1/2 price...in some cases 1/4 price of the ones i sell (the last one i installed i could see through from underneith)

they can purchase through the internet....but sometimes ive found parts to be missing...and once again they may have brass drains or plastic...roll the dice...

the only way to get professional quality fixtures is through a plumbing supply house... most of the ones i use sell to the public, but they will pay more than buying them through me....

I am going to write 'fixtures must be supplied by plumber' on my new home contracts from now on for sure

its unbelievable how cheap some of the parts are...the must save .05 cents by switching some of the parts from metal to plastic.....but when you switch 5 parts its .25 cents x 100,000 units sold =$20,500 in their pocket

Array

I can understand contracting businesses that supply materials as well as service having this difficulty with inferior materials supplied by someone else. I can understand clients doubting the motives of a contractor who insists on supplying all the materials and refuses to install client-supplied materials. It all makes a great deal of sense. Here is how you can solve that---

1. Always offer a supply and install price, whether the client asked for it or not. Guarantee that price and the work for a set period, the longer the better.

2. Price your install only quote to include your normal profit on materials. Note on the quote that Install only is not Labor only, because Install only includes sundry materials like ...(pipe, brackets, screws, posts, or whatever is relevant to your business.) Note also that if the client wants a labor only quote, you can provide one but the client will be expected to supply ALL materials and any time lost because materials are not available will be charged at $XX per hour.

3. Note that there is no guarantee on Install only or Labor only work because the quality of the supplied items is outside your control. Therefore, callbacks will be charged.

4. Provide the client for Supply and Install work with copies of invoices for major components. This will demonstrate to the client that you are not overcharging for major components and informs the client of exactly what has been installed. Your profit on the items will be included elsewhere in your bid.

Array

i always tell customers that my sell price is 80% of list price...they can pick something they want on Kohlers website and figure out what my price is by themselves...no hidden magic there

there is no warranty on homeowner supplied fixtures.....but its the grey area that worries me...those drains are just sooooo cheap....if it leaks is it my fault or the product...100% of customers will blame me.......i spend extra time making sure they dont leak...when they do i throw them in the garbage and get a drain out of my van....i only carry chrome , but should probably get some brushed nickel since its more popular.

i had a kitchen faucet 3 months back for a repeat customer and also someone i do business with (she does my signs)....it was the cheapest faucet you could get...it looked like something from 1976....it was Moen, but a special model that isnt in my Moen books.....2 weeks after the install it leaked out of the spout & 1 handle....she called and i said 'here's the # of my service friend...he will charge around $200 to fix'.....she never called him and had a friend install a 2nd faucet for her...when i call her now i can tell there's tension between us....she will never call me again...i did nothing wrong and would do the exact same thing next time....i dont carry the parts for it on my van and would have charged her more than $200 to fix it.

Array

At some point it will be an absolute must to add in. How many mechanic's do you know that will fit owner supplied parts. If you take in new shock absorbers to your mechanic do you think that will fit them for you, most often not.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

"most of the ones i use sell to the public, but they will pay more than buying them through me...."

That's perfect. Then, you can give them a list of approved suppliers instead of approved fixtures. This will give them the freedom to go check out the stuff at the showroom and see it first hand. Then if they try to buy it there, they will see that you have been making them a good deal. They can then have the salesperson put the item they liked on hold and you can then buy it for them so they can get your professional discount. I think that's how it worked when I bought my house. This at least gave me an opportunity to look at stuff in person instead of just from a catalog.
    Steve B