Thread: I want to do things better

Default I want to do things better

I want to do things better than Geek Squad. I was steps away from working from them and I stepped away because they were charging prices that were higher than expected. But that is not the only thing I can see the business I want to start to be a competitor against Geek Squad, being that they are not personal with customers and always loosing and overpricing products and services.

I looked at there website and I know I can do better, I have been fixing computers when I was 7 years old and my dream was to create a business by doing services for people involving technology.

What do I need to start in building a business that will take baby steps into being elite.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd start by getting the word out you can help people fix their computers. Tell family. Tell friends. Tell everyone you know. Get a website for yourself. I'd add a blog teaching people how to do what you do. It might sound counterintuitive to give away that kind of information, but the people who read the blog probably weren't hiring you in the first place. The blog would be for the DIY crowd. For the people who hire you the blog will serve as proof you know what you're doing.

One thing to keep in mind is that as computer prices go down, it becomes more cost effective to by a new computer than hire someone to fix one. If my choice is paying you $150 to fix something or to buy a new computer for $300, the new computer is probably the better value. Small business can't compete on price and stay in business. You might want to think about serving enterprise clients.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Mike,
    I'm sure that many many people can do a better job than some of the Geek Squad crew. However the one major advantage that they have over you, and all the other @ home guys is that they have exposure that many would pay a LOT of money for. They're in your face, they're a service that is offered through a big box retailer which some would consider the Holy Grail. That will be your biggest disadvantage. Also, the people that they cater to know very little (think of older people, etc.) and can't do it on their own.

One thing I would recommend, and I know NOTHING about building/repairing computers, is to try and link up with as many small/independent shops and offer your services to their clients for a finder's fee and build your brand there. The shops may be too busy to take on workload so you can always sub-contract work to them during their busy seasons (i.e.: Christmas) in order to let up their workload.

Good luck and hope it grows!

Array

Hey Mike,

I would target businesses. You could even setup some kind of service plan, so you update, protect, clean, their computers every so often.

I'm with Vangogh... If something went wrong with my computer I would just buy a new one, but I'm a consumer.
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube