Thread: Help with how to structure my business

Question Help with how to structure my business

In November I came up with an idea for a software product that I believe is going to do very well. After coming up with the idea, I asked one of my friends who is developer, like myself, to join my team. We are currently working on the product. Basically he put together the framework behind he software and I've been developing and doing the rest. I need help figuring out how to structure the business. I need to register the business and do not know what to register as (llc, etc.), or how to divide the business. Both him and I have talked that he wants to be a partner and I'll keep majority. What do you all think is the best way to do this? We are in Ohio.

Banned
    Array

I'd go LLC structured as a partnership. I'd also go to an attorney to make sure you get good partnership agreements in place, because dissolution of a business is often a pain in the butt when things go wrong and there are assets to be considered.

I 100% agree with Freelancier above.

Have you thought about how you're going to market, launch, etc?

I would get yourself a website ASAP. Start building a waiting list. You can send this list free trials as your product development moves forward, then ask them for feedback to help you make it better.

You'll have your first customer's/evangelists before you even launch.

Array

An LLC is really overkill a this point. Just focus on finding customers. If you don't have any customers, you won't make any money. And without any money coming in, there is no point in an LLC.

I agree with checkmate. Without customers you have no reason to worry about forming real company. Spend your time on all of the social media sites offering to test your products.