Thread: Question about LLC

Default Question about LLC

Hello!

I started an LLC back in 2012, but thought I dissolved it a year later, but did not do it with the secretary of state. I only did this with the IRS. I did this because I was not really ready to get started, but I am now. The SOS dissolved my LLC on their end. I filed the paperwork with the same name and received a note that the name was not available and that I could either choose a new name or pay $200 for the two annual reports that I missed and a $100 renewal fee. I could also wait until 2019, when the name is available again (ha).

The issue with a new name is that I have many digital and physical assets that I have created with the old name and either way would have to spend money on changing either the assets or renewing the name.

I guess my question is if I was to put a Roman numeral I after my name: Example Company I LLC, would I need to add that to all of my assets?

What you do in this situation?

Thank you!

If you choose a different name (albeit a close one as you indicated), your assets created in the meantime in the old name will stay in the old name unless you change them. Whether that will ever create a problem for you is hard to say.

If it only costs $300 to reinstate the old LLC, that seems like a cheap and easy fix.

I made an error in the post and it would be $200 for each report, so the total would be $500. I wonder if I could add a word to the name of the company and change my cards and logo, but leave the shortened version for FB vanity url, website url, ect. Right now $500 is a lot of money to spend for practically nothing.

Banned
    Array

If the assets have no real value and you owned and dissolved the LLC, didn't they flow to you and at that point with no real value, what did it matter?

There was a cost associated with the assets and the social media properties have a decent following, which all have some value. To keep those, I would need to pay the $500. Or I would have to figure out the cost of the new asset builds, reprints, etc and see which would be better in the long run.

I guess I am asking if I can still use the URL, and social medial property urls since they will not reflect the full name should I add a word to the end of the existing name to file for the LLC.

I don't see a problem having the Facebook vanity URL and the website URL be different than the entity name. That happens all the time. For example, nearly everyone would omit the "LLC" from its URL, which immediately makes it different than the entity name. For example, PepsiCo Inc. has pepsi.com (the product) and pepsico.com (the company) and various FB pages including PepsiUS and PepsiCo.

If that is all that you mean by "assets," then I wouldn't worry about a slightly different entity name.

Thank you for your help. Now I just need to decide if I want to have a longer business name or pay for the old one.