Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new idea's on how to answer 'how much per hour do you charge'

Array

i have gotten away from flat rating jobs lately....i have a list all written up for it.

its just easier to say T&M...i dont make as much, but i also cant lose....

its just a trend ive been doing because ive run into some really crappy jobs where i would have really lost alot if i had flat rated them.

homeowners do seem to like flat rate though..cut and dry

Array

It does make it easier on the budget. As a homeowner, I'd be cool with a ballpark figure, because obviously I have no clue how long something is going to take or what materials are involved unless it's spelled out for me. Not that we've had to call a plumber yet...I am praying our water tank holds out for another three months...

Array

I agree Steve. We recently had pest control through the house for a white ant treatment. The price was quoted within 2 or 3 minutes of the guy walking in. This is a dedicated business that just treats for white ants in particular. But they have got their quoting down so well that they can look at a house and be able to give a price to place an external system to detect possible entry points, treat anything they find and monitor it for a year.

I would almost guarantee that they work off a flat fee for size of dwelling, there is no other way they could quote so quick. Yes i would say sometimes they lose out if there is an infestation and it takes a bit of treating. Other times they probably find nothing and make great money on it. But being able to walk in and take a quick look, and say this is the price it covers everything for the first year if we find something we treat it, is a very good place to be when you are selling.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

Quotations can be given over the phone for almost anything, and plumbing is no more complicated than other work. If one is going to do work for time and material (T+M), one must expect to be asked about one's labor rate. And be prepared to lose jobs because if it.

A homeowner will almost invariably prefer to know what any job will cost before work begins. It is up to a business to provide that -- if one wants the work, that is. If one doesn't want the work, just say, "We don't do that type of work."