Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do people call the BBB to find a contractor?

Array

Default do people call the BBB to find a contractor?

a contractor friend of mine belongs to the BBB ($360 a year)

he claimes people go to their website or call them to find a contractor in their area....im having trouble believing him...i think people call to check up on a contractor, but not find one they dont know.

any opinions or knowledge?

ill join if it means a few jobs a year.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I can't speak for anyone else, but it would never cross my mind to call the BBB to find anything. I'm with you. I might use the BBB to check up on someone, but I couldn't imagine calling them to find someone.

That doesn't mean it won't be worth joining. The BBB doesn't really wield any authority, but some people will probably trust your more and consequently make the decision to hire you based on a good listing with the BBB. I'd think you'd be able to add a seal of sorts to your website and your marketing materials. $360 a year isn't all that expensive and you could always try it for a year and see if it leads to more business.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

The BBB will bring you back that money a few times over, Huggy. Not directly, but being a member of the BBB says something. It definitely makes me trust a business more, even if it really is a "paid seal of approval".
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

Im already a member of the local remodeler association and home builder association..most people know who they are because they advertise heavily and have home & remodeler shows 2x a year....i tell potential clients im a member & have it all over my cards/fliers/website....i never notice anyone caring....i tell them im bound to the associations arbitrator if there are problems....they never ask a question or seem to care...

yea the BBB is more well known and wouldnt hurt, but i wouldnt join unless i knew id get a few jobs from it....i checked it over tonight and saw alot of names i knew....ill have to ask them next time i see them.....

Array

I haven't joined the BBB - I don't really care if it would get me a lot more business or not. I don't like their business model for several reasons.

I did find out when I looked into it one time that they charge a lot extra to use their logo on a website. It's not included in their regular fee.
    Steve B

Array

That's a great way to research...see if they can attribute business to it at all.

Array

called one of my plumbing friends today to ask about the BBB. He says he gets 50-100 people checking on him a year from it...some are cold calls, some are referrals checking on him...$500 a year is what it costs for me...

he compared it to Angies list

im joining.

Array

Let us know how it goes. Does the $500 include the right to put their logo on your website?
    Steve B

Array

im planning on using their logo & linking to their website....ill let you know

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

It wouldn't occur to me to check the BBB for a plumber, but it might reassure me if one I hired was a member. Can't hurt to try it for a year and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, you don't have to join again.