Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Establish Your Freelance Business

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's perfect. Now go back through it and pick some of the ideas and start making notes in another notebook or in a file. I used to try just writing the post, but lately I've first written down an outline of what I want to talk about with a few quick thoughts on each point I want to cover. At the end I'll make a few notes about resources to add. What kind of posts I might link to and in my case any images or code I need to create.

With the outline and notes done I'll search a little for posts to link to and record the URLs in my file. Generally I'll find a few more things in each of the posts I find that add to my outline. Then I'll create any images or code I need.

I've been letting the notes sit for a day or two and then I'll come back and write the post.

For whatever reason it's easier for me to gather my thoughts when I don't feel like I'm writing a finished piece. When I'm writing the outline and notes they come much faster than when I'm trying to write the post. When I do go back to write the post from my notes the writing comes much faster since I already know what I want to say.

I think the process helps me separate the writer in me and the editor in me and helps both of them do what they do better.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Excellent tips Van, I'm thinking about starting a blog, any suggestions on which is better (and easier) to begin with? Wordpress or Blogger?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I prefer WordPress. Both are easy to use, but if you install WordPress on your own hosting account you'll end up with so many more options and much more control over things. You may not need all that extra control at the start, but in time you most likely will.

WordPress is pretty easy to install too. A good number of hosts will have an option to install it with a few clicks from your hosting control panel. Even the manual install is pretty easy if your host doesn't have the quicker option.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals