Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bad customer

Array

Further, I don't understand why the customer needs to be told anything regarding scheduling. Until they have confirmed that I am to do the work, *when* it is to be done doesn't come into the conversation.

Should the customer bring it up - which I find odd, anyway - why would they want to discuss scheduling with me if they haven't yet decided I am to do their work?

But should they bring it up, I would simply say, "Oh! Does that mean you want me to do the work?" (It's called a trial close, in salesman-speak.)

When the customer says, "No, I haven't decided yet," my reply is obviously, "Well, we can discuss the scheduling once you have decided."

There is another sales note worth making here -- If you are discussing when work can or cannot be done before the buying decision has been made, you are giving the buyer *another* reason to say No. The purpose of any conversation prior the Close is to get as many Yeses as possible and eliminate the Noes.

Array

"why would they want to discuss scheduling with me if they haven't yet decided I am to do their work?"

There is a good answer to this. If they are having a big party in 10 days - then the plumber who has an opening before the party might get the job. I get asked this question all the time before people commit to using my service. If I can get to a job a couple weeks before my competitor - I'll likely get the job.
    Steve B

Array

I understand, Steve, and if that is put to me by a potential customer, I will calmly reply, "At the moment, Monday the 17th is open." (Or whatever is open.)

That doesn't mean I am keeping it open, that I am allocating the time to a "maybe" job, or that it will stay open after we hang up. It's open now. If they order now it will be allocated to them. To press the sale, I might even say, "...but I cannot guaranteee how long it will be available."

My point is that locking down a job date and time before you have a job is not very businesslike.

Array

she left the message that she wanted me to do the job!!!! and wanted it scheduled for monday morning!!!!

at the end of the conversation she said 'i have another plumber scheduled, so you may get a call to cancel'

i should have said 'your not scheduled then, call me when i have the job'

she's the definition of a bad customer..101% her ,-1% me...when it should be 50/50 or 75/25

Array

Frederick - well put. That's exactly the way I say it. My customers have been great, even if they call me back a couple hours later they will ask if it is still open.

HT - that's a tough one - she wanted to have you in her pocket just in case the next guy was cheaper. It's tough to play hardball when you are still hoping to get the job.
    Steve B

Array

It is as important to not lock yourself into an open-ended commitment as it to not lock yourself out of a job.

One of the things I have found useful is to choose one's words carefully and remain silent when necessary.

"Can you do it Monday morning?" - "Monday morning is free, right now."

"I want it done Monday morning." - "Thank you for your order."

"If I give you the order, I want it done on Monday morning." - [silence]

It's easy for us to talk from the sidelines, though, and not so easy when you are on the spot!

Array

its Sunday and she called for me to come tomarrow....her 'friend' couldnt get the job done....now the job is 1/2 done and my little profit is now mostly gone..

im slow this week, so ill do it....i scheduled her for Tuesday even though i have only 1 small job for Monday...I want her to suffer mentally alittle for her decision..

ill bring her folder with me and call her tomarrow...she begged for a Monday install....Im going to be going right past her house anyways, so why not do it and collect my minimum charge....maybe it will be difficult and ill end up making a couple of hours...

Array

Let us know how it turns out. Sometimes something that starts out this way ends up being a great job. Maybe she'll give you a big referral this year.
    Steve B

Array

she has cheap written all over her...i will be tearing out and replacing everything the other guy did...i have to guarantee no leaks, so i cant build off of his work....i also will not reuse the other guys parts....so she may not be happy to pay 2x for the same parts(or similar parts)....so i will guess she will not be happy about that..i can only hope paying 2 people to do 1 job will cost her more in the end.....

ive had repeat jobs from homeowners who try to do this stuff....ive rarely had repeat when they hire handymen first and then me though....some people are always looking for cheap and dont care about quality/service.....hey its probably going to be $200 in my pocket rather than $0....why not just do it....its a slow day

Array

Why not just do it, certainly. But make sure you smile and "butter her up" a bit. Tell her how wise she is to try to keep her costs down. This is a good time to be the "Used car salesman."

If you don't get a referral, you at least made somebody a bit happier for the day. Maybe she won't grumble quite so much about your bill.

But she will be more likely to give you a referral if you are nice to her than if you are miserable, too.

Think of this as your Good Deed for the Day.