Thread: Donation Towards Customer XMAS Party

Default Donation Towards Customer XMAS Party

My customers ask me every year to donate towards their company holiday party. Cash, checks, gift cards, merchandise, etc. I'm curiose to know how other small business owners handle this situation and how do they determine an appropriate dollar amount???

Banned
    Array

That's a totally inappropriate request of a vendor unless you are "sponsoring" the party and get to advertise yourself there.

On the other hand, if they're inviting you to the party and you're supposed to bring a "toys for tots" gift that they'll turn around and donate, that's all good.

Array

If they are asking me to sponsor the party and I get advertising, I treat it as an advertising expense. It get standard cost / benefit analysis. If they are just asking for me to give them something, then they get a polite no.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I can't say I've ever heard of this before. Why would it be your responsibility to finance their holiday party? Seems strange to even ask someone to do that.
    If you're donating to a charitable cause, it make sense. But forking over cash and merchandise to help people at someone elses company eat and get drunk...yeah, I'm not feeling that.