Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: people who need me in a hurry and then dont pay on time

Array

Regardless of whether a new client has been referred by someone else that you already know and trust (implying that they are also going to behave like a 'good' client), I think you still need to adhere to a standard policy where a retainer of some sort is mandatory before you even commence the work.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but it doesn't need to happen in the future. If someone is unwilling to provide a refundable retainer (according to your satisfaction guarantee) then I'm not sure you would want them as a client in the future.

It's okay to be upfront and unwaivering about your policies. I also believe that your clients will respect you more for it.

Karen
    Karen Braschuk
    Virtual Assistance: Office Support 911
    Transcription: Simply Transcripts

Array

why would the homeowner blame my company for trying to collect my money? their anger will be 100% at the realitor.

yea the realitor will bad mouth me...realitors are not good customers..they all have sidejobbers to do their repairs...ive gotten almost no work from realitors ever...i have marketed to them a few times w/ no result...so let them bad mouth me

i really dont think anyone can badmouth some one for trying to collect their money...it sounds strange.

Array

had a similar situation today....i told him to meet me at the house w/ a check or no go...he did...got my check and im happy...

once again someone i knew through someone else and a property they dont live in.

and once again a $200 small job.

Array

I guess the question is whether you want the repeat business from those realtors. If not, you can tick them off I guess by filing a lien, but I still don't like that approach. I suggest you advise them in writing that you expect payment by a certain date (30 days) and if payment is not made you will lien the property. Then at least you have given them proper notice and they cannot complain that they were caught off guard. Just make up a MS Word template, fill in the blanks and hand deliver when you are in the area or send via registered mail. I know, it is a pain in the "you know what", but that is part of having your own business.

Array

yes i will be sending a late notice in the mail on Saturday. it will say LIEN after 30 days late

Array

Huggytree - There is a book by Alan R. Zimmerman titled Pivot, It may help you with handling your customer problems. It's an easy read and has several good ideas.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

realitor called me yesterday....he said 'sorry'....he got my letter w/ the lien threat and said he will pay...he's trying to get someone else to pay and its not working...he also said he called and left a message...hmmm....i never got the message...its all BS

Array

got my check today from this jerk...i called him on Sunday saying 'i need a check by noon on Monday or a Lien will be filed'...he called back and said it was mailed last week..

check came on Tuesday....it was mail dated on Monday w/ the check written on Sunday...basically he lied to me about when he mailed it.

ive still never lost $ yet...so being ontop of late payers has obviously saved me...a friend in I.T. told me he constantly has people 4 months late for $100 each...i told him after 30 days late i get drastic and threatening..

anyone use a collections service to collect? whats the % returned?

Array

I think you should stick to your huns on the pay up front. I have had the same issue in our shop but you will quickly fins the ones who realy want it done will have no problem finding a way to pay you, its the ones who can't pay you that won't. good work done on time is worth paying for. then you can take care of the people who take care of you. We do work for counties & schools who say their "policy" is to pay within 30 days of gettting the job done. wouldn't you know it that they always seem to find a way when they want it done. Or at the least a 50% deposit. we only make the people in a rush pay 100% up front. that seems to be a fair way for both parties but we still get burned once & a while, just not a complete loss.