Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: customer story...the nerve of some people

Array

I guess it's a bit different with me. I provide an actual item to my customers. I do floor plans for real estate agents and construction drawings for engineers and architects. So there's really nothing they can get from me, like advices, free of charge before being a paid customer. I have a set price that they seem to be happy with and nobody has yet asked me to lower. It's a fair fee that's comparable to my competitors.

I do take every opportunity to market myself when I speak to potential or existing customers. I also do small "favors" for customers. I've even had new customers ask for several business cards when I meet them at a property, so they can give it out to their peers, before they even see the product I will create for them. I think it's just how I speak and present myself to them.

Array

I've read Sewell's book :-)

I've read a lot of books...but I don't do things because a book told me to - but because it feels right.

I'm with Jen in that I do a lot of added value things for my customers, but most of mine are intangible.

They take little effort and I hope they do set me apart from the average consultant. I like to think they do.

Like when I get emails from certain clients (and prospects) and they have an error or have done something that they could easily improve with their next effort...I send an email with a tip or two often with a few links they can double check my information with.

Or when I see a pr opp for someone I know (whether they are a client or not), if something makes me think of them...I get in touch and alert them to it. They can do what they want from there...take action on it themselves or hire me to move on it for them. But I do it without expectation...if they hire me, great...if not...I hope they at least use the knowledge...

There's not a whole lot a client can take from me that I don't freely give as far as advice and so forth go...they can take it or leave it as long as they pay me for the work I do at the price we've agreed to.