Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What skills do you lack that inhibit your growth ?

Array

the skill i wish i had the most would be better computer skills...i get so many graphic ideas....and just cant learn it....its just so foriegn to me...i cant even learn cut and paste without a big effort every time..i want to words on pictures...or make a big power point video.....and the 2 people in our business who can do it all are artisticly challenged..its sad and frustrating........ .
    ha ha van gogh.......we,the rest of us, always say if it were up to him we would still be in the garage!!! [instead of our big 8000 sq ft packed store] but no, we try to dig deep with each other and get to the right decision.....
    i dont care what software package he uses and he doesnt care what i fill the store up with......
    working with a totally trusted person is pretty good.....
    ann
    Last edited by greenoak; 05-12-2010 at 09:03 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's good that you both trust each other where you each have skills. That's really how it should work.

With the graphic ideas you get are you able to sketch them out? That's how many graphic people start anyway.Most sites I design start out as a very simple sketch to get the ideas out. A sketch is so much quicker than trying to create something with Photoshop. Pen or pencil and a piece of paper are still valuable.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I can identify with you Ann, because I'm graphically challenged too. I have a designer that does that stuff for me, but I am working on learning at least the basics. It will never be something I'm good at, but I want to know how to do simple things at least.

Array

My biggest failing is trying to do it all. Like Steve said, I too enjoy learning new things and probably spend too much time learning.

I don't have graphic design skills but know what I like. I impressed myself this week with making several banners and print ads in Photoshop (elements). That's as far as I plan to go with that. At least I can now do the basics.

I love writing and think it's one of my better skills, yet I'm so busy doing other things it leaves little time for writing copy, articles or a blog.

Like Ann I'm fortunate that my hubby and I work well together. He's happiest in his woodworking shop. We design and lay out the plan templates together. He is a true craftsman and takes over after the basics are done. I'm happiest at the computer and handle the marketing, website and orders. He swears he will never touch the computer, because he hears me swear at it too much!

A little off topic here, but one thing he's learned really well is selling. Early on at shows selling our kitchen utensils, he would go into detail ad nauseam on how he made them, what tools and wood he used, etc. That interests a few people--typically other woodworkers who aren't going to buy anyway. What most potential buyers want to know is "what will it do for me." It took a few seasons, but he's got it down pat now. That was a huge step and made a big difference in our sales.
    Last edited by dynocat; 05-12-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Array

for any project i usually start with what feeling im after and the right visual....then making the main part clear and short.....then good details.....the visual is everything in my world.... ....
    kristine....im fairly good at design.....B- i figure.......i just cant get the computer skills to do it myself..... my job is mainly standing over their shoulder and griping till its close to right....
    sounds good dynocat.... your sales story is interesting and so basic and real.....
    ann
    Last edited by greenoak; 05-13-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com