Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DESIGNERS: I Need Help With A Brochure

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Corel definitely has some advantages, but then the reverse is true too. IMO, Corel will do more that AI, and for me, I find it more intuitive for faster workflow. I get a chuckle sometimes when Adobe adds "new" features that Corel had for 5 years or more. There are common tasks that Corel will do in one or two clicks that Adobe sends you menu diving to achieve. You can always memorize a ton of keyboard shortcuts (which may very well change when you upgrade to a new version), but I still prefer the Corel approach to intuitiveness. Since you can easily share files between the two apps, I use whichever one I deem best for the particular task or project I'm working on.

If you do decide to cheat on Adobe, you might find it works out well. Don't let the lower price fool you, it will run circles around Adobe in several places.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

what is it with you guys and the pen tool? I use a touchpad mouse and don't have any trouble with it

Of course I have LOTS of experience using it too... crazy customers who hand you a fax of their logo and expect you to recreate it - so glad I don't do that kind of crazy work anymore, idiotic print shop sales people who refused to ask their customers for the files we needed and still expected work to be done within the original time quote!

Oh and Frederick - the problem with Publisher is that once you create the PDF file and send it to print you find all kinds of things that don't work right and have to be reworked with actual traditional printing oriented software so... when a client gives me a Publisher file I inform them that once I start working on it there won't be any going back to Publisher and we go from there - usually that isn't an issue anyway.

Oh and guys quit reminding me about how much the software costs, I'm due an upgrade and I have to buy the whole suite... AACK!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I think Bill Gates must have had really bad experiences with printing companies and wanted revenge. So he decided Publisher would be a great way to get them good and make them pay dearly for their sin.

Funny, Jenn. A tablet helps a lot too.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

No, I don't think bill gates wanted to get back at all the printing companies.

He just wanted a way for idiots to be able to design stuff and feel proud of themselves. It's marketing and psychology.

But then there dreams of being an uber awesome designer gets crushed when they go to get things printed. So maybe he was after the print companies after all?

oh, and fyi. eff the pen tool.