It's true we have largely built a society on almost everyone driving, but I wouldn't rule out seeing that change. In large cities, it's often faster to ride a bicycle because traffic is so bad. The problem of rising traffic congestion is likely to get worse. Solutions will need to be sought.

This is more about a possible alternative than my topic of the business opportunities, but I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes where drivers will need a special license to drive on freeways. That wouldn't alleviate normal street congestion, but it would help make freeway driving more like it's supposed to be.

Back on topic. Spider's suggestion of private bus service is possible. In my area, we have quite a few shuttle type services of varying sized vehicles. I see no reason these couldn't work. Even home delivery of things like groceries are already springing up in places. This not only applies to elderly, there are people who would use this service simply to avoid the hassle of shopping (and the driving that goes with it).

For that matter, one of my favorite ways to shop is ordering online and let UPS drop it on my doorstep. That could even raise the issue of business models that help people avoid driving. That would help both the elderly and people like me who prefer to avoid getting caught in traffic. There's already a market for that, and I see it getting bigger.