Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overcharged a Customer

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I had something similar happen to me what I was driving limos here in Vegas. A guy paid me $1500 by mistake..he meant to give me the $100 bill that he peeled off, got distracted at just the right moment and gave me what was in the other hand, and put the $100 in his pocket and went inside the club with his dates (alcohol helps create these situations).

I noticed it right away, but just stood there as I watched him walk in. Took me a few minutes...I knew I was going to do the right thing, I just wanted to hold the money for a little longer..it was a slow month.

When I went into the club and told him what he had done, he just smiled and told me to keep it and asked for my card.

A lot of limo drivers are hustlers and most would have squealed tires getting away but I learned early that the real high rollers, if they like you and are thinking about keeping you as a regular driver..will test you to see if they can trust you..after all, you see people doing stuff that that needs to be in the strictest confidence. I've had guys leave $100k in the car with me while they were "taking care of business" in the hotel or at dinner.

I had two runs that particular night and made $1505.

Honesty pays.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-30-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Array

i had one 2 weeks ago

she needed a new garbage disposal and i gave her a verbal quote of $250...she called her husband and got the OK

after the install i checked my price sheet and saw it was actually $230 for the new disposal, so i discounted her down to $230....what did she do? she asked 'could you lower the price some more since you got it done so quickly'...my response 'no, sorry.....i already dropped the price $20 after getting the OK for $250. i did this because im honest and dont want to over charge you. most companies wouldnt have done this for you. I did it to get your business in the future'...

she wrote my name under her kitchen sink for future work, but didnt seem happy i wouldnt discount further...it left me feeling like i should have kept the $20 extra

most of my customers are great, but once in a while i get bad ones....i will be the low bid out of 3-5 other plumbers and when im done they still ask for a discount...i never give them when the customer asks

Array

I personally think you ruined the event with this statement, "I did it to get your business in the future"
    Steve B

Array

i kind of agree with steve...sounds a little stuffy, i probably wouldnt say much about what the other companies would do either... sounds l kind of braggy...
    ...also agree with huggy not to discount further...and try and do it with a smile....the media tells them to always ask for discounts etc, so we need to get good at saying no and still keep it comfortable.........
    we get low ball offers a lot...and i use humor, if its someone friendly and who just can t help asking for more or too much.or after getting my best price... .....as in.. THAT WOULD BE SO WRONG....
    Last edited by greenoak; 10-06-2010 at 08:34 AM.
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

One of my favorite negotiating replies that would serve to deal with the retail bargainhunter -- "If I do that for you (lower the price), what will you do for me?" Negotiating is a two-way street. Unfortunately, most people don't have a clue about negotiating.

You can tell them what they will do for you. If I give you the discount I will need the terms to be prepaid.

Great business and moral move. I applaud you. I'm sure you may have had to think about it briefly before you made the right choice.
    Twitter: ShredderClay Tumblr: Shredder-Clay Recycle with your Paper Shredder, let me give you a few pointers how... use them in crafts, in shipping, in your compost pile....