Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcharged a Customer

Default Overcharged a Customer

Purchasing agent got a quote from me in June. It must have been competitive because I put a 10% discount in the quote to him.

Several weeks later I received an order from someone else in the company for the exact same thing. I charged him full price as he didn't not the prior quote.

Long story short, the purchasing agent requested a receipt from me today. I noted that I hadn't charged shipping and told him I would need to add that in which was fine. When I went to send the receipt I noticed that I hadn't applied the discount to the order. After adding the shipping and taking out the discount I owed him $100.??

While the purchasing agent just wanted to clean up his books, when I called him and told him I owed them money and would apply a credit instead of charging him for shipping he was astounded. He said no one had ever made an error in their favor and called to give them a credit. I have a customer for life from giving the credit.

Different story but similar. Years ago as a field sales guy I rented a car in Roanoke VA at night. Went to my hotel. Next morning I went to my car and there was a bank money drop bag in the door jam of the car I didn't see in the dark the night before. I opened it, and it was the drop bag for National Rent a Car. Over $2k in cash and a bunch of checks etc.

Obviously what had happened is an employee had been given the money drop bag and sent to the bank. Seems he / she forgot the go to the bank part.

So, with my customer, I opened the bag and counted it and then called National Rent a Car and asked for the manager. I said hmmmm you missing anything (thoroughly enjoying the moment)?

I got a lifetime free car rental in Roanoke although I have never been back and don't care to return. Just one of those funny things that happen in life, at least in my opinion.

Array

we have done that a few times over the years.....to me its just good business....and not too hard to do...and what you would want them to do for you....if a company did that for me i would feel so good towards them.....
    we totally try to point out flaws when selling....thats also very appreciated....
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

Good stories. It's funny how doing the right thing is also good for business.
    Last edited by Steve B; 09-30-2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Steve B

Array

Doing the right thing is good for business!

Both of these examples are things that were very easy to do too - in costing yourself $100 by admitting a mistake you've gained a lifetime customer - worth far more than the $100! And in reporting the bank bag and giving it back to the car rental place you certainly made that managers day and saved the company a lot of headaches and money!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

Not to mention that the purchasing agent may have remembered the discount and not mentioned it, or remembered it later. And the car rental people could have eventually tracked who rented that car after the money was lost. In both cases, had you not done the right thing, you would have lost two customers for life, and even found yourself facing criminal prosecution.

Doing the right thing is not only good for business, it's also a lot safer!

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Wow, I bet the car rental company was sweating that one. I'm sure there were some big sighs of relief when you called.

Actually they hadn't figured it out yet, or at least the manager hadn't. The employee may have woken up and and realized his error though.

Array

we just had a call yesterday from a company, giving us an unexpected 1k.....we had paid 1000 and they had missed it and dh had missed it....made us pretty happy!!!
    early summer, i made a christmas order a few hundred over our 3000$ credit limit with them....and they asked if i could put some of it on creditcard...i said sure ...and authorized 1000....now months later that caught up with their billing department and they realized we had already paid that much of the current bill..and called us... .... we probably never would have caught it because dh just deals with the things that come in the mail and he wasnt in on the credit card conversation.... and when he paid the credit card he would have figured it was just for current inventory, not the big christmas order......and i wouldnt have caught it becasue paying bills isnt my thing...
    to me it makes that company pretty nice to do business with....gives me some faith in their accounting department....they want things accurate...
    Last edited by greenoak; 09-30-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Array

Actually, this sort of thing shouldn't be a surprise. And, in fact, I am not especially surprised at it. I think, by and large, people are honest and try to do the right things. Maybe sometimes there are two 'right things' that conflict or the right thing isn't quite so obvious. But people are basically good.

Array

i try to feel that way....and on a closer level where its face to face i get there most of the time..
    .but i deal with lots of companies w hose mistakes are only in their favor.like generally sending out wrong info to get the order.or substituting something close but not quite....or forgetting a refund.....
    ..and in the auction world ive been called several times when they missed one of my buys and i owe them something but never when they charged me extra and they owe me....or i paid for something i didnt bid on.......
    i just try to be careful...
    ann