Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell your clients when they have bad ideas? or just do the work?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Do you tell your clients when they have bad ideas? or just do the work?

It's a really tough situation to be in when clients want you to do something that is either dated (tried and failed many times over the years), inefficient, or simply just a bad idea.

After you consul them and give your honest, professional opinion and they are still sure that they want it this way, do you still do the job? Even when you know it's a failure waiting to happen?

Sometimes people don't want your opinion, they just want you to do the work.
    Do you guys still do it, even if you know it's wrong?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 10-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Array

I guess that would depend on what they want to do. If it's something that's been tried and failed, I'd ask them what they plan to do differently that makes them think they can make it work.
    Ted, Appreciation Marketing Consultant

Array

If, by 'wrong,' you mean immoral, unethical, etc. I'd not do it. If you mean "in my opinion, that is not likely to achieve what you expect," I'd do it, having stated my opinion and offered a few suggestions to make it more effective. I'd also be very specific about what I disliked, why, and what I suggest - and put it all in writing.

I think there is a danger in taking any other path. I think a business person - especially a successful business person - knows their business better than I do. Even as a coach I take that stand - "You know your business better than In do." I think our job (as webdesigner or business coach) is to draw out from the client what they want to achieve and help them do it. But they must be allowed to be the leader of their project.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

That's always a tough one, Harold. I do like you and provide reasons why I think it's a bad idea. Most of the time, they take my advice. If they want to proceed anyway, whether I do it or not depends on many factors. If it's a new client, most likely not if it's something I'm sure about. If it's a minor issue or difference of opinion, then as long as their checks always clear, I probably would go forward.

Since your operative phrase is you know it's failure waiting to happen, I would be evaluating how that failure might reflect on my business. By the sound of your description, I most likely would not want to proceed.

However, another variable comes to mind. If this is a long term client you have much invested into, you may want to consider how you can minimize the damage and come out stronger in the end without losing the client.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Most times how they run their business is none of mine, I just need to know some things to build the site... unless their business IS the website. Then I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't tell them what I knew.. and you don't want to crush the entrepreneurial spirit..after all who am I to say who's going to be successful or what people can make work..but some things are just delusions based on lack of any real knowledge about how the internet works and those are the ones that are tough.

The people that come to me, not because they need a business website, but because they want a website as a way to make "easy" money, with no real direction or comprehension of how to run a web based business...those are the ones. Most times I should just do what they want and take the money because some of them will just find someone else to do it..but I usually end up being honest with them and losing the sale.
    Those don't come that often, but when they do I feel like another service provider would just do the job.

I mean if you are a plumber and someone wants a toilet in their living room in front of the TV, do you talk them out of it for obvious reasons or just do the job?

In my practice, I try to dissuade a client from taking what I consider to be a clearly foolish path.

Mostly, it is because I view my value to my clients as being a business advisor who has seen a lot of things that are new and unfamiliar to them. To some extent, it is also in my best interest, because if they start down a path that is going to cost them a lot of money with no reward at the end, they are often likely to owe me fees that can't be paid.

For example, many people come to me to create a private placement document and subscription agreement to raise money for their business. If I talk to them about their plans for the business and their ability to raise the funds, and I believe it is highly unlikely that they will be able to successfully raise the money, I will not take on the matter even if they are willing to come up with a substantial retainer fee upfront.

But, like Frederick, I understand that my client knows their business better than I do. If the idea is simply one that I would not personally invest in but the client is generally knowledgeable and appears to understand the risks, it is not my role to decide what deals go forward.

Array

I do my best to point out the flaws I see with my clients idea without being harsh - if they insist, I produce - often seeing the first proof where I once again point out what I think the potential problems are is enough to get them in the process of rethinking, but if not... the client is always right, the client is always right, the client is.... out of their mind and better pay me pronto!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Not an easy question and one that depends on why you think something is wrong. Frederick mentioned the idea of the wrongness being something you disagree with ethically, which is very different from something you think wrong because you don't think it will work. I'm thinking your question is more the latter such as a client wanting you to create an all Flash intro/splash page.

I think part of my job as a web designer is to offer my experience to my clients so whenever they have suggestions for their site I offer my opinion on whether I think their idea will be effective or not. I might also offer some new ideas. I won't tell them how to run their business, but where the website is concerned I will tell them what I honestly think. In the end though I let the client make the choice. It is ultimately their website and they get to make the call. I also know that no matter how strongly I may feel about something there are times the client is right and I'm wrong. Client's do have good ideas about their sites after all.

The stronger I feel about something, the more I'll fight for it. If I really think a client is making a mistake with something they want on their site I will fight them on it. In the end I'm still going to let them make the decision, but I am going to defend my position in part to get them to think about their position more.

There are times when I'll refuse to do something, though mainly that would be do to an ethical objection or because I think doing what the client wants will hurt my business. While it is the client's site, the fact that I create the site does mean how it turns out has an effect on my business. More than likely though if this is the case I probably wouldn't take on the client in the first place.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have turned down work because the client didn't have a clear vision or complete idea of what they wanted, yet, wanted me to come up with a flat rate. Those are pretty much impossible to take if they are resistant to paying by the hour, day or week.
    I've never just blew a job because I thought the idea was stupid, but I'm sure that I have turned clients off that were once exited about their "original" project and then I showed them 20 examples of competitors and it burst their bubble.

It sucks doing that...it's like taking candy from a happy baby, but it has to be done. I hate for people to have an unrealistic view of things and usually a dose of reality let's them think about how dedicated they actually are to the project.

Array

i have refused to work with some products......i just hand them my bid with the product i like to use included in it....i never win those.

my customers trust my judgement and typically i inform them of the choices they have in products...i say to keep away from this or that...

when i show up on jobs not knowing what the product is and its junk i typically do install it...i write a disclaimer on the final bill if i see future issues with the product.

people buy no name faucets all the time....when they break where do you get parts?....you throw it out is what you do....sometimes these no names leak from day 1....i get paid and walk away....

my typical customer usually uses high quality parts and wants the best....its rare i have to install junk anymore....those customers are typically weeded out ahead of time through me qualifying them......the longer in business i am the easier this issue has become...

i will install a homeowners fixtures, but i refuse to install a homeowners plumbing fittings/parts....if they leak or break who's fault is it?..ive walked away from a few jobs over this issue...i dont know of any plumbers who will use a customers parts/fittings...it would be warranty suicide