Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where did you find your first few clients?

Array

My first clients were long term business contacts. The rest are all either web inquiries or word of mouth.
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band

An online business is a little different than most of the replies here, but I got mine from Adwords

For me the first clients were some friends, but then I decided to go further and expand. Right now my clients are from all over the world and not so many from the local businesses.
    SEO Audit - find out exactly why your website is not ranking in Google.

There is common thread here that I'm also in on.

Almost all people hot their first client from an existing relationship before the business even started. My first client was a restaurant owner where I was a regular customer for about a year before I started up. From there is has been word of mouth and now more online and social media is bringing in new prospects.

And on that note, if you don't have a strong existing relationship your business can help, social media it's probably the best place to focus (facebook - 500 million users, 250 Million visits a day lasting ~30mins each on average!). Many of my peers (me included) are finding that Craigslist is becoming harder find clients and make sales from. Maybe that's just us though. (??)

There are a number of ways to get your first client, one good way is networking by atending events where your prospective clients congregate. Much depends upon your area of expertise. There is a good book on the subject of finding clients titled: How To Make $100,0000 A Year As A Successful Consultant In Your Own Field. It is written by Jeffrey Lant, if you do an internet search you can find information on this book. I had a copy that I read so many time it fell apart but I found it to be a very valuable help in finding consulting clients.
    Berwyn J. Kemp is a financial consultant for a FREE subscription to his ezine Biz Funding Solutions visit him at: http://www.bkemp100.com

I've always heard to start local and think globally. One customer contact or other marketing opportunity can lead to the other.

I will definitely be watching for future suggestions.

Mostly through referrals from friends and ex-work colleagues. Then the clients would refer me to other people they new needed services.