Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Faking Your Referrer Kosher?

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'm perfectly OK with agreeing to disagree, goat, I was simply expressing a perspective. I think we do agree that there is little if anything to gain by the plugin you asked about.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

I really think there is little to gain, just imagine how many times you would have to visit some sites for your referrer link to even get close enough to the top of the list to be noticed. Even for a site with 1000 visitors a month there could be hundreds of different referrer links and who would want to go looking through them all.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

People send me referrer spam all the time. That's actually what it's called. I don't ever click from my stats and if I'm curious I just copy paste the URL. I'd rather the person on the other end not see the click from my side.

It is done because some companies stats are open to the public due to misconfiguring the stats program.

Referrer spam is mostly just annoying. I imagine if gives some people some low quality clicks. It shouldn't be too difficult for a search engine to realize where the link is coming from and not give it much or any weight.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals