Thread: bounced check...how do you handle it?

Array

Default bounced check...how do you handle it?

i had my first check bounce ever today

i was just wondering how often this happens and how you handle it?

i assume a bounced check helps me in small claims court..

i gave him a phone call and asked for an appointment for a cash payment this next week. left a msg

also warned the other subs on the job

Array

we rarely get them very rarely.....but dh has a very formal letter, friendly asking for payment....and then another one, the next one saying we are giving them till x then we go to the prosecutor.....
    ann
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

I've never had a check returned for Insufficient Funds, but my wife has in her grooming business. That would have been for a relatively small amount - less than $100. Action taken - Call a couple of times, then write it off. No point in wasting time chasing a $100. Larger amounts need a different approach but I think it's never worth spending more time (or the value of that time) than the outstanding amount. So, it depends on the value you place on your time.

Array

Don't over react to it Dave. I've had it happen several times and so far it's always been fixed with the first phone call. Many people don't know how to balance their checkbook - so it happens once in a while. I just had one last week for someone that had closed their account while my check was still waiting to be deposited. No big deal, she's sending a check and will include the $15 fee my bank charged me. Assume it was a simple mistake, but document everything in case you need to go to court.
    Steve B

Array

Steve has the best approach. I could just be a timming issues or even have been a mistake by the bank. But I would never discuss the matter with others until I have talked with the owner.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

i got a call back 2 hours later...sounds like its an issue with his loan.....were meeting on Tuesday at his bank for cash....its $935, so its worth the extra effort

this homeowner was very goofy acting when i did the job....it didnt surprise me when i noticed it was his check....glad to see he's honest

i may try the letter next time, i jumped on it because i only have 2 more weeks to get the prelien filed in case he was a bad guy

Array

I think part of the reason I've never had a problem with payment is because people know that I know where they live. You are in the same situation, so I don't think the average scammer is going to try to beat you out of the payment. I would think more anonymous situations like retail and on-line stuff would have a bigger problem.

I also try to get numerous phone numbers from people in the very beginning of the relationship. Of course, this is helpful if I need to change the schedule or something. But, it's REALLY helpful when I have to track down money. I think sometimes when they get a call or two at their work number or on their wife's cell phone, that they decide they should hurry up and pay me. It also helps to call from different phone numbers so it's harder for them to know which numbers to ignore. Here is my progession in the rare instance someone doesn't seem to want to pay - e-mail, then phone call to one number, then phone call to all numbers that I have (often 3 of them), then certified letter, then small claims court. When I'm doing the phone calls, I always leave detailed messages and I take specific notes. When I send the letter I itemize every contact I've made with them - this shows them they will lose in court because I have the specifics of the many attempts I've made.
    Steve B

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Wow, I haven't written an actual check in over 3 years. I agree with Steve, you are are a better advantage than most in that you know exactly where people live so it is doubtful that they would intentionally try and screw you over.
    You can probably wrap this up and get it handled with a couple of nice, but stern phone calls.

I don't take checks so I don't have any methods to share about dealing with them.

Array

i was about 10 mins from the customers bank. I called him up and we met in parking lot and went inside together...he got the cash he owed + $10 for the returned check i fee..

he blamed the bank...i dont care who's fault it was as long as i got the cash.....hopefully it will continue to be once every 4 years