Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: caller who just wants free info

Array

Default caller who just wants free info

I had someone call asking me questions about a plumbing problem today...i told him what id do to fix the problem and then he just kept talking and asking...i said 'can i schedule you for an appointment' and he just ignored it and kept asking more questions....after 1 more minute of sitting there i asked him again and then a 3rd time....then he asked how much and then tried to ask another question before i said we will discuss that at your appointment...then he said ok good bye

does this person know they are a user?

i spent maybe 10 minutes on the phone and told them more than i should have, but not as much as i could have....i recognized his type pretty quick. it was just difficult when he ignored me when i asked to schedule an appointment....i should have stopped talking after the first time he ignored me...its hard to do without being rude

any advice or stories?

Array

I'm sure the same has happned to me many times. I no longer give quotes in person, because I often get asked how I would do it and I find it hard not to tell them specifics. Then, I never hear back from them. I've gotten better at giving vague statements that answers the question without giving the details. For instance, I often get asked "how do you cross a driveway". I now say "we have special tools and techniques that we use when crossing a driveway that prevents damaging the wire with an edger". "Techniques" makes it sound kind of fancy and I think it gives a hint that I'm not willing to share the details.

On the other hand, if I can tell I'm not going to get a job because the price was too high, I sometimes invite them to call me if they run into any questions if they decide to do it themselves. If I'm not going to get the job anyway, I really don't mind helping keep another dog safe. It's not unusual for someone to call me years later to re-do the work they did on their own. It happened just yesterday, that I re-installed a wire for a guy that insisted on doing it himself several years ago. He did everything wrong and was happy to call me this time.
    Steve B

Array

im sure the guy who called me probably called 10 plumbers and wasted all their time....he was a user

id never think to do that sort of thing...take a special person i guess...

Array

I have found that if you loose a few small jobs by just answering a few questions and letting the shade trees give it a try, (a) they will remember you as the helpful pro when they have a big job or someone they know has a big job and (b) if they screw up the small job they call you to come fix it. I know in the electrical field I have more than once had to call an experienced tech for help but when I am in over my head, I will give the helpful folks the job. Not saying this was the case at all but could it be?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I don't get that on the phone much, although I do remember one that I gave too much info to, just brainstorming and they did the project themselves instead of subcontracting me. The funny thing abut that one was, what I said wasn't the final word on how to do it, and afterward I realized a more efficient method that would have covered all of their needs. They never got to hear about that and gave their client a half assed job. That one made me laugh.

What you are talking about is exactly why I don't give out my IM information to other "Webmasters" or accept any friend requests. They suck you in with one question or some fake praise and ask to be on your IM list "to talk" and then pop in every time you log on asking for help, tips, do stuff for them, share premium files, and want you to take a look at everything little thing that they do. All day long.

I rarely log in and it's been almost a year since I was on regularly, but I could log on right now and one of them will pop up with "Can I ask you a quick question about something?" It's like they are hiding in the bushes waiting for me.
    I'm sure they do it to everyone. Too lazy to type a few words into Google. They want someone to tell them every little thing.

Array

I give away my knowledge freely. I have at points given people step by step instructions on how to do something small themselves (if they have the skills to). If someone asks me how to learn something, I'll provide them with names of books or other resources that will get them there. I'd rather have them do it right and lay a good foundation for their marketing than to continue to be clueless and lose money on it. And down the road, when they can afford me...they do for the most part hire me. Not always. The fact is most of my recommendations go unheeded, even when they've specifically asked. Sometimes I can resist mentioning something if I see an opportunity even when they haven't asked...I probably shouldn't expect them to take any of that advice.

No matter how much I give away knowledge wise, they won't bring the same combination of skills to the table that I do. It's taken me nearly 15 years to learn what I know (and that's with my hyper reading abilities)...most small business owners don't have that long to get things moving with their marketing and promotions.

It probably isn't an approach that would work for everyone, but it fits my personality.

As long as enough clients and speaking engagements and info product sales and affiliate sales come my way...I'm happy :-)

Array

my problem is with spending my time when im busy...it makes my day longer

the ones i really dont like is the ones who get you to their houses to show them how to do it....i get this once a year...they have all the parts sitting in a pile right there....when i see the parts pile i go silent....i refuse to answer questions...the last time i said it outright 'im not going to instruct you how to install it for free'..

if they keep it short and ask a question or 2 i guess i dont mind over the phone....but this guy yesterday just took forever and would ask the same question 3 different ways and kept saying 'i dont understand why its happening this year when it hasnt happened for 15 years in the past''.

Array

Yeah, I wouldn't be calling a plumber for those sorts of questions, that would just seem rude unless they were being paid to teach. Luckily, we can take questions to the plumbing and heating shop...unlike the hardware stores and such they actually have people who know what they're talking about and who will take the time to actually help you find the parts needed for the job.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

You know, I don't understand why people can't do their own research? I don't think I have ever (in recent years) not been able to find something that I needed or wanted to know online. Even if I can't find an article, there's forums, and other communities specific to certain industries, hobbies and tech.

The answers are out there., why do people expect to call someone (who is for hire) to tell them how to do it?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 01-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Array

There's been a couple of things we couldn't find online for free over the last couple of years. One was replacing the thermostat on the old refrigerator and the others were vehicle related, but even the Chilton's guides can be a bit vague on some things...