Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for starting a restaurant

Array

Bwa ha ha...cracks me up to see someone calling 100,000 small. I live in a town of 10,000 (service area of around 35,000 in the surrounding areas...cuz we're the biggest town within an hour drive of our feeder towns) and have 47 restaurants at last count...

Even though breakfast would not be your focus, I would keep it in mind. Thirty years ago, none of the fast food hamburger chains (not even Hardees) offered breakfast, but now they all do. Two basic reasons: #1: the margins are great (what are the food costs for 2 eggs? 2 slices of toast? a cup of coffee?) #2 you are paying rent 24 hours a day, have equipment sitting there 24 hours a day, so those costs are really sunk costs. Only your variable costs (food, labor, utilities) need to be covered before you start dropping cash straight to the bottom line.

I would also note that there are many people who don't want a Hardees or an iHop for breakfast. Whether it is for a business meeting or just having a regular place to go where you don't feel like an anonymous customer, there are definitely reasons to choose a "homey" place to eat your grits or biscuits and gravy.

Array

I think if home cooking food or comfort food was cooked well, had good flavor, was really home cooked and not prepackaged, then it would be good. Like real mashed potatoes and gravy. Fresh not frozen foods. I live in Lexington, Ky and most of the restaurants are chains. I don't mind eating at some of them, but I would prefer more family style home cooking and they aren't available. I usually go to Cracker Barrel if I want home cooking in a restaurant. There are a few other small diners in strip malls with a limited menu.
    Just my 2 cents.