Thread: when qualifying a customer whats the best way to discuss budget/money

Array

Default when qualifying a customer whats the best way to discuss budget/money

When i get a homeowner call i always like to give them a rough estimate over the phone. this is my way of qualifying the customer. I want to make sure they have a realistic budget before i drive over for a estimate

I think i am insulting people and im looking for the best way to say it. Today I had a woman pretty much hang up on me after i gave her my qualifying talk....i think im being too direct.

i ask the customer for some details and in my head i come up with a price range. then i say 'a rough estimate for that project would be $1000-$1500. I want to make sure you have a realistic budget since many people typically think the cost is 1/2 of what it turns out to be'

sometimes instead of giving the 'i want to make sure you have the cash' part i say 'does that price fit your budget?'

todays customer started the conversation by saying 'do you give free estimates'..which is a red flag for me......my customers typically say 'so and so referred you to me and i have a project for you'

i used to just bid on every project and i won 1 out of 10....now i win 9 out of 10 by screening customers and giving a rough price before i go there.....

how should i phrase my rough estimate ?

Array

how about ...it sounds like in the x $ to x$ range....
    . if its like here tho, they will just hear the lower price...ha ha...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

I would skip the part about people thinking the cost is 1/2 of what it should be.

Just say, based on what you've described I, it will likely be in the ballpark of $x - $x range. If that is within the budget you had in mind I have yada-yada time available.

As to the ones who say do you give free estimate, say yes, I give a ballpark over the phone and if it's within your budget we can schedule an on-site estimate.

Array

thanks for the advice...its kinda what i thought

Back into it. Ask if they are planning on using upgraded fixtures or home depot ones; "we can use pipe A which has a 10 year life span or type B which is guaranteed for life" etc. I'd also give them the high price only and simply state that it may be less but you can't tell until you see it.

It sounds to me like you are being way to direct / blunt. You can come up with questions that will give you your answer indirectly.