Thread: Owner Draw

Default Owner Draw

Hello, I am part of a multi-member LLC. If a member draws from the account then reinvest the amount that was drawn, would this be categorized as a draw then place the money back in the equity account once returned? If it is considered a draw will they be taxed on it even if the money was reinvested back in the company? Thanks for your help.

I would suggest talking to a tax professional on that, but I think you can categorize that in your taxes to prevent being double taxed. I know I invest money into other companies and ventures and I categorize all of that out at the end of the year and my tax guy does something with the money that comes back after.
    Tyler Hutchinson
    CEO at Full Circle Business Consulting
    HTTP://www.fullcirclebusinessconsulting.com

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

How is this multi-member LLC taxed? As a partnership, or did the LLC elect to be taxed as a corporation (or S-Corp)?

If you go to an ATM and withdraw $20, and then proceed to deposit that $20 -- did anything essentially happen? No. It likely will not have an affect.

If this wasn't a "draw" and was considered a Guaranteed Payment, it would have an impact, as there is a difference between a partner's draw and a GP.

Also, money you contribute to your business is EQUITY, not INCOME. It shouldn't appear as income on your profit & loss statement.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

There is a huge difference between draws and regular payroll. However, every business is different! I would suggest that you consult an accountant or tax attorney to make sure you are handling these situation correctly. Otherwise, it could have major implications for you.
    Understanding payroll is a major focus for small businesses