Thread: If I own the LLC and pay myself by the hours worked, Can that qualify as a draw?

Array

Default If I own the LLC and pay myself by the hours worked, Can that qualify as a draw?

So I'm planning to start an LLC. I will have 1 partner and we are planning to pay ourselves weekly by how many hours we work. Since we are both the only owners of the business, can we classify it as a draw or are we required to classify ourselves as employees and thus pay more taxes?

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

It sounds like the LLC will be taxed as a partnership, as you haven't mentioned anything else... What you're stating sounds more like a guaranteed payment which is similar to a draw. The difference is the guaranteed payment is taken out prior to "net income" being calculated and the profits/losses allocated in accordance with your LLC operating agreement.

So say your net income was $100K (before guaranteed payments), but you worked more hours, and took guaranteed payments of $40K, and he worked less and took guaranteed payments of $20K. Each of you will report all of that as income on your respective tax returns. The remaining $40K ($100K - $40K - $20K) would be allocated based on the operating agreement, so if he put up more capital, perhaps he is getting more allocated to him.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."