Thread: at what point do you cancel a customers warranty

Array

Default at what point do you cancel a customers warranty

i did a kitchen sink/faucet 6 months ago for a customer....i am now on my 8th call back

i have replaced his basket strainer 3x (2 different brand names), repaired his faucet 2x, replaced his faucet 2x and now he's having faucet problems again....so i may be replacing it a 3rd time

none of the products im using are cheap....all top of the line Kohler and Delta

this customer is through a builder, so i cant just say no or i will risk losing the builder

i did make the offer to give him $300 (the original labor on the job) to walk away from the warranty

the customer is demanding a brand new faucet of a different manufacturer...im not going to give him that

i believe he is being rough with his faucet and strainer...jamming it and slamming it around

when is enough enough? i think 8x is at that point where i should start considering it

i fear since he has 6 more months of warranty that i will be back another 8x

i am considering waiting 6 months to do the latest repair(the faucet is now crooked)...that way its 1 last trip

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I take it this is pretty rare for this type of faucet? Which I guess doesn't really matter as you've said you've replaced the faucet a couple of times so one of the replacements should have taken care of the issue if it was defective product.

Are there stats for how long the faucet should normally last with normal use and wear and tear? If there are, maybe you could show him those and explain that the products you're installing aren't designed for rough use. He might get the hint.

Array

I don't think you can "fire" this customer. In my opinion, you can determine that something is NOT covered under a warrenty and refuse to do the stuff for free. He can than challenge you through the court if he wants. But, if you just refuse to come out anymore, you will just hurt your reputation.

I can't imagine the types of problems he's having. I've been using sinks for over 40 years and have never broken a single one of them (and I don't buy the top quality ones). What is he - a gorrilla?
    Steve B

Array

he's a little old man....at first he comes off as a gentle old man...but when you start to talk with him me loosens up and goes off on angry racist rants....

ive never had a call back on any basket strainers....the first one i installed was my basic $15 one....ive installed hundreds of them....when he had an issue i upgraded him to a Kohler for $45(the builder paid the $30 difference)....then he had a problem with that one, so i called Kohler and they sent him a new basket part.....this strainer is all cast and weighs a couple of pounds...its VERY heavy duty...i have (2) of them in my own kitchen...

the faucet is a mid level Delta...i think it was $225 range....its not a cheapy...

i think part of it is he's old and part of it is when he gets frustrated he gets rough....this guy is a bit spooky

i think paying him $300 to go away is the best solution....he can hire someone else and i dont have to go back.......there is no way 8 call backs has anything to do with me....the worst customer before him was 4 call backs.....i replaced parts on her kitchen faucet and finally replaced the faucet and refused to go back....she didnt like the bubbles the faucet made....she said i was wrong and that bubbles should not come out into a drinking glass....she was a bit autistic i think......

i big worry is its only 6 months into a 1 year warranty.....i can only assume ill hear back from him many more times...he could realisticially be up to 16 trips and 6 faucets....at some point it becomes silly.....8x is that point i believe

Array

i came up with a solution

the Delta rep agreed to return the faucet....for $10 more i can get a similar Kohler faucet

i told the builder id replace it, but would not go back to that house again...any future issues is between him and the homeowner...

i am refusing to back for callback #9 when it comes

i also told him id fix it immediately

Array

Glad to hear you came to a solution. Personally, I would've refused a warranty replacement after the 3rd visit assuming I had a proper statement in my warranty documentation to support my decision (I.E. abuse, appropriate care or etc).

I definitely would not recommend paying this customer anything as you've performed the work, replaced the parts and held up your end of the deal. This just sounds like a guilt move...

Array

yea i can refuse to do anything, but i was a sub under a prime contractor...so i not only make me look bad...i make the guy who hired me look bad....and he's good for $10,000-$20,000 a year in business......it has to come to an end with this homeowner, but i still have to hold on to the builder

i also worry about these customers reporting me to Angies list or the BBB....it doesnt matter how i respond...once you get a neg. review it hurts you badly... its always these 'odd ball' type customers who will do it....