Thread: Training courses - which are useful?

Default Training courses - which are useful?

Hi,
    I am currently exploring idea of setting up a business at some point in the future.
    I was thinking about general training. (Won't be able to stretch time or money wise to an MBA).

Can anyone recommend what types of courses they found useful? are any courses free?
    My previous education level is BA (hons) degree over 20 years ago, / did Maths Eng at O level.

I'm more interested in learning information/ skills that would be useful in setting up a business rather than notching up a qualification if that makes sense?

What courses have you done and would recommend? What courses have you done (or heard) that were not worth bothering with?
    Thank you in advance.

Array

Answers may vary depending on what type of business you'll be setting up. So I can only speak from my perspective - we operate a small contract manufacturing co. (or "job shop" if you'd prefer). In no particular order, I have found useful the following types of courses:

Accounting - to understand where/how money comes in or gets spent, and to determine if you're really profitable; also if you need to create financial statements for lenders
    Marketing/Sales - to learn business-to-business sales skills, business advertising/promotion methods, creating your unique sales proposition
    English Writing - to communicate and get ideas across
    Public Speaking - to communicate and get ideas across
    Business Law - basic understanding of contracts, tax laws, HR regulations

Are these free? - well yes sometimes, or some are very low cost. Some cities have continuing education classes taught by business professionals. Community college classes are also affordable relative to what you get. For public speaking, just join your local chapter of Toastmasters.