Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Getting a Job as a Web Designer

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Yes, you should know some web marketing so that you build them something that integrates well with their future efforts. But marketing services and copy writing are not a prerequisite to design and coding. And people are starting to blur the lines and expect that their web guy to also be their advertising guy. To me that's like expecting my plumber to also fix electrical problems.

However, I have started to adjust to those blurring lines a while back and now I do offer more than just the technical of just building the site. So I do agree with you, but it can be a struggle getting people to understand that most web designers don't also set up your marketing plan for you. Recognize that you can't just pay the basic site building rate and all of the other hours and designs are just included.

But Bill is right on the money. People want more services all in one place. So being a one trick pony is short lived unless you have a strong referral network.

Many other web people also have multiple skills or service partners that specialize in additional services.. So getting the service all in one place is becoming more and more prevalent.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 09-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.

See, the thing is, if I have a site built, I want it to place well on google, I want the primary landing pages have a good call to action, I want it to look professional, and I will probably want to add some special features. You are building the store and store front. You're not doing the advertising campaign etc related with marketing but you are doing the store. By navigation you are directing how the person moves around the store. By using tags properly, a good domain name, well written content is part of what is going to make me rank well on Google and I do expect that from my web designer / developer.

Of course there are things I can't expect from you. You aren't going to know my product, industry, competition. I would expect revisions in product descriptions, what to target on the landing pages, etc. In most cases I wouldn't expect the first revision to be perfect.

Also, it's my job to give you a very good specification for the site I want.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with what your needs would be. And most people do those things. However, when it comes to promising Google placement from my limited engagement just building it and I'm not going to be a continuing manager of the site, I don't make those promises. You can't.

Also, you should write your own content. No one knows your company and how you want it represented better than you do. I'm sure Dan does far more industry research than just writing off of the cuff for the various businesses that he deals with.

I will of course help edit and organize it for both SEO and user friendliness, but unless we also have a deal where copy writing is included, there will be no multiple revisions page by page. If writing the copy is part of the deal, then that's part of the service.

But most of the structure and organization of the content for effect is pretty much part of the job. I'm definitely going to set you up for success. If my job is done when it's built, I can't really control how you execute after that to get the desired results no matter how many tips and guides I give you.

No, I wouldn't expect you to guarantee Google placement and in fact if you did offer it I wouldn't trust you and I'd take my my business elsewhere.

And of course I'd expect to pay for revisions.