Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anit-Virus Software

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Do you update Windows through the automatic updates? If not try doing that. Maybe one of the security fixes or the malware update will fix things.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Have you tried using Restore to take the computer back to a state of "last known good" (before the problems started)?
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Yes- I'm pretty sure the automatic updates are happening. I'm not really sure how to check - but, every once in a while I get a message that the computer had to shut down and reboot because of recently installed updates.

Re: Restore. I've had some of these problems for a very long time. It would be a tough guess how far back it goes, but well over a year I'm sure.

Thanks for not giving up on it. Any other suggestions?
    Steve B

Steve, do you have all your data backed up in some way. Also, do you have a disc of all the programs you have installed on you computer?

If you don't have a backup, buy an external hard drive and back them up. I recently bought an external 500G hard drive at geeks.com for $80. Other sites I buy from are compusa.com and tigerdirect.com. A lot of good deals.

In general, its not a bad idea to rebuild your computer once a year. I try to do it every three months. I do it using the ghost method described above which is a couple of clicks. For you it probably means reformatting your hard drive. If you have a name brand computer, frequently there is a restore disk. It WILL erase all your data so do a backup first.

Also, do you use IE, FireFox, Thunderbird, Outlook? That affects how you backup.

It sounds like its time to bite the bullet and rebuild your computer (software). Not a difficult process, but depending on how much stuff you have on your pc, it could take a day.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have the automatic updates turned on.

Bill might be right that your best bet is to reformat the drive, though it will be a pain since it pretty much wipes everything off your computer. If you have the backup drive you'll be able to save your data easily enough, but you'll likely still have to reinstall all the software you want to use.

Is there anyone local who comes to the house to diagnose and fix computers. I would thing there would be. Maybe it would be worth giving one a call and seeing if they can find the problem.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Hmm. All my data is backed up every day via Mozy (on-line backup) so I don't have to worry about flood, fire, or theft ($5 per month by the way). I might buy a back-up drive also (as a back-up to the back up).

The thought of re-installing all my software is a bit scary - but, I like the idea of being prepared to do it in the future. I have some stuff that was dowloaded off the internet, so it's not just a matter of installing the disks again.

I took down a phone # of a company that fixes computers at the house. I'll give them a call and explain my situation in detail. I would only hire them if they gave a guarantee because my guess is they would do many of the same things I've already done with the same result (or lack of it).
    Steve B

As a note for the future: If you download software from the internet (or buy it on cd for that matter), make a directory called programs and save it there. For example I have a downloaded version of Zend Client which is a disign program. I have a directory under my documents: mydocuments -> programs -> zend. I save the downloaded zend program in that directory. I also make a notepad file in that same directory with passwords or other notes I want on the program. I have MS Office which I have on disk. I copied the disk to mydocuments ->programs -> office. Put the password etc in a notepad file there as well.

There are plenty of ways to structure things. You may have a system that works better for you. I find that saving programs to a hard drive folder keeps things organized for me and you can install or reinstall the program from that folder. It is rare that you need the actual cd. I have to have 100 cd's sitting on my shelves with programs. Most are obsolete. Some are current.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I do the same thing as Bill. I always choose to download things before I install them just in case. I have a folder on an external hard drive with the creative name 'downloads' and inside that I have a series of folders to better describe what kind of software I'll find in them.

If something happens you still have to reinstall everything, but at least you don't have to spend the time downloading them again.

There's also some good that comes from having to reinstall your software on a clean OS. You get to rethink which you really need. The few times I've had to start over again I was able to better choose what to install and what not to install.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

That "downloads" is a really creative name, vangogh, I use the exact same name too. I guess it's not as unique as I thought.

If the others had not already suggested it, I would have also advised a reformat and clean install of the operating system. It does take time, but it will be like having a new computer again; even better than new if you have XP. Even with lots of juice, Vista still runs slow.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Is it sad that a couple of designers who are supposed to lean toward the creative side of things name folders with such an uncreative name? Or are we also practical and organized where we need to be?