Thread: Do I need a UIA Employer Account Number as a Sole Proprietor?

Default Do I need a UIA Employer Account Number as a Sole Proprietor?

Hi,

I am asked if I need a UIA Employer Account Number as far as I can tell I don't. Any ideas?

Here is the list. If I answer yes to at least one of them I have to apply for one

• Pays $1,000 or more in gross wages for covered employment in a calendar year.
    • Has one or more employees in 20 different weeks within a calendar year.
    • Acquires all or part of an existing Michigan business. You must also complete Schedule B - Successorship (Steps 11 & 12) Questionnaire.
    • Pays at least $1,000 cash, not including room and board, for domestic (household) service within a calendar quarter.
    • Pays at least $20,000 cash, not including room and board, for agricultural service within a calendar quarter, OR employs at least 10 agricultural workers in each of 20 different weeks in the current or previous calendar year.
    • Elects coverage under the terms of the MES Act.
    • Is subject to federal unemployment tax (FUTA).

Thank you

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I had no idea what a UIA Employer Account Number was so I looked it up. A quick glance makes it sound like the Michigan equivalent of an EIN specifically for state taxes? Is that right?

Not living in Michigan I can't say I know much about it, but I would think if you didn't answer yes to the questions you listed you don't need one. You don't need an EIN number either. I'm curious if there's a downside to having a UIA Employer Account Number. I didn't need an EIN, but I got one anyway so where applicable I could give that out instead of my social security number. Are there advantages to having the UIA that make it worthwhile to get even if you don't need one? Are there disadvantages to having one?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Banned
    Array

Looks like a UIA number is similar to any state's Dept. of Labor ID number... and it looks like you only need if you have a business entity or pay a nanny. If you get one, expect to file quarterly returns until you cancel the number, so that's your downside.