Thread: Trademarks and LLC

blandhoke

Default Trademarks and LLC

Hello,

I am going through the process of starting an LLC and trademarking the business name. For the trademark, I can't seem to find out whether or not the LLC needs to be incorporated into the trademark. Is this required or can I trademark the name without appending it with LLC. I would rather not included the LLC designation if possible.

Example Trademark:

(Preferred)
    XYZ Tires

(Not Preferred)
    XYZ Tires LLC

THANKS!

Banned
    Array

Pretty sure the trademark is separate, since it can be anything (Microsoft trademarked "Microsoft", without the Inc. on the end for the trademark). However, when it comes to your company name and using it on legal documents, you will have to include the LLC (pretty sure that's part of the law, check with your state on that if it matters to you).

You are not really trademarking the business name. Your trademark is to identify particular goods and services, not for the company's name. Normally, a company's mark does not include the designation "LLC" or "Inc" although if that is how the mark is used to identify the goods/services, then it may be appropriate.