Thread: Looking for advice on how to ask for advice?!?

Default Looking for advice on how to ask for advice?!?

Hello again forum,

I starting to like this forum a lot, the people are very helpful, it's much better than Young Entrepreneurs, it's simply dead in there!

If you have seen my last post I emailed a couple local companies that sell smartphone accessories (wireless stores) asking them for a meeting so I can get some advice and feedback on my product. I have two that are willing to meet, but now I need to know how to act, dress, what to say, what not to say etc. I am horrible with social situations, it's frustrating but I am trying to overcome that limitation...

Here's what I'd like to know... These are main ideas with several splinter questions that I won't go into

Firstly, is my product something people/stores would buy in worthwhile numbers. For this I plan on bringing in a 3D printed prototype, unfortunately 3D printing isn't as good as normal manufacturing, so the prototype is a bit worst than the final product. Would that be a problem?

Second, what do manufacturers do/say they'll do to market their products in retail stores.

Third, how do manufacturers and retailers connect/how do they find products to sell in their stores do they get submissions, buy from distributors, attend trade shows etc.. I also want to know their distributors is that too much to ask???

Forth, what kind of agreements are common for products like mine, what are the percentages, what are the terms, types of packages, return policies etc.

I don't have any suits but I was planning on going in with a button up shirt and either slacks or nice dark jeans. Is that ok?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Broman. Thanks for the compliments on the forum.

In general just try not to be too anxious about the meetings. Do your best to prepare and then do your best in the actual meeting. If it doesn't go well learn from the experience. Think about why it didn't go well and think about how you can change that for the next time. If you keep doing that you'll get better and before you realize it, you'll be consider these things a skill.

A manufactured prototype would probably be better, but if what you have is a 3D print, then that's what you have. I don't think it has to be a problem. Use the 3D print for whatever it's good at showing and demonstrating about your product. It's certainly better than not having anything at all.

How much marketing the retailer does likely depends on the particular retailer. I wouldn't expect them to do much marketing outside their store. They would likely expect you to do that. In store they'll make the usual displays and give you some shelf space. Should they think making your product more visible will sell more they'll likely do that.

I'm not really sure how retailers find products. I suspect it's different for different retailers. I think larger companies will have people who's job it is to find products. How they do that I'm not sure. They probably keep their eyes open always noticing products that might work for them. They probably go to trade shows and other events where new products are shown.

I'm not sure at all what kind of an agreement is common. I suspect it's really down to the specific product, retailer, and how well each side negotiates.

My guess is you'll be dressed fine. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Again it depends on who you're meeting with. I wouldn't walk in with a pair of ripped jeans, but it sounds like you'll be presentable.

Good luck and again don't be anxious. Do your best and learn from the experience good or bad. Each time you go to one of these meetings you'll learn a little more about what to expect and you'l; be able to prepare better for the next meeting.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

congratulations on getting the meetings.....they may or may not work for you, but its what you need to do!

i was always the shy guy, i forced myself to be outgoing...either you do it or you lose!!!........to be a businessman you NEED to be able to be a salesman....or you need to hire one

now i can get in front of a group and describe why my comany is different....i can meet new potential customers and handle things to perfection.....yea at first you will be clumsy and they will be able to read you like a book....but after a few years you will be able to read THEM like a book....

try and do your best

dress however your expected to dress in your field.....listen to their concerns....ask for negative feedback....

its sink or swim.....most people sink.....show the world your a swimmer!!!!

be positive....im a glass 1/2 empty guy in real life, but to customers that glass is 95% full......i am able to turn 'it' on instantlly when the phone rings......its a salesman personality you need to develop...its a bit like acting
    Last edited by huggytree; 12-15-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys, its been a big help.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Have you met with anyone yet? I'm curious as to how it goes and hoping everything goes well of course.

Just to reiterate what I said above, don't stress too much about any of this. Like huggy said it's all about selling yourself and your product. We're not all born salesman. I know I'm not. But it's a skill you can learn and get better at with practice. Prepare as best as you can before the meeting, do your best, and when it's over learn what you can for the next time. If you continue to do that you'll get better with each meeting.

One of the ways to learn is to go over the questions you get asked in each meeting. There's probably going to be a few you hadn't really thought about and they might trip you up. Don't worry about it too much during the meeting. Answer as best as you can and move on to the next question. Then make a mental note of any question that trips you up and when you have time think about the question and prepare an answer for it the next time you're asked.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals