Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: my builders partner keeps wanting to bring in a competitor

Array

Steve B...when i used to call around looking for work (some would call it begging and thats why i dont do it anymore)...anyways i ran into a few who said those exact words...using a different plumber would be like cheating on my wife.....it suprised me the level of commitment that a contractor can have for his sub....my goal from that point on was to strive for the same level of commitment from my customers...

i think ive got it on a few and am building up to it with a few more...i can tell the ones who will never be there...they dont want to get close with me...i still try, but always figure i may lose them at anytime...

quality and service are important, but making your customers into friends is just as important and maybe more important.

As a field sales guy for 20 plus years, my sales strategy was always "make friends out of your customer and all things being equal, people will buy from their friends". I'd always try to set sales calls for 11:30am. Its a no brainer to take them out to lunch.

Domestically, customers usually wanted to go home to their family after work, not go to dinner, so other than trade shows I didn't take a lot of people to dinner. Internationally, I did a lot of wining and dining for dinner and it worked well.

I always tried to make friends with my boss as well, which I generally did.

huggy, you are in a different situation because you live in the same area as your customers. You can take them out to dinner around their schedule. I think its a great idea and 100% agree with the concept of making friends with your customer.