Thread: Payroll tax

Array

Default Payroll tax

I use a service called esmart paycheck for payroll checks and I input them into quickbooks for reference. Esmart says the last weeks of 2012's payroll taxes are one amount, while quickbooks says they are another. Is it possible the confusion is with what years taxes are being paid in the paycheck? I would assume (as does quickbooks as far as I can tell) that the taxes are on the period worked, not the date paid (12/20-12/26 pay week, paid 1/3).
    Also, is there a place I can look at the new tax rates for reference? I know the software calculates it automatically, but I would like to have a reference as well. Any suggestions please??

Array

Hi Jessica - Payroll taxes are calculated on the pay check date, not payroll period. The employer's social security has gone back to 6.2%. Make sure you have applied the lasted payroll update to your QuickBooks file. QuickBooks does calculate payroll taxes on date paid. Good luck.

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I agree with Jo Ellen, and that's the distinction (the pay date). It also is the distinction in whether those are tax obligations of Q4 2012 or Q1 2013.
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."