Thread: Partnership + Childsupport

Array

Default Partnership + Childsupport

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have some questions. I'm a photographer in New Mexico and pay child support in California. I'm wanting to go into business as a partnership and am curious as how to set it up. Since I'm paying arrears as well, I don't want both partners to suffer from that. Does anyone here know about or have heard about this situation? I know if I'm on the actual business bank account that it can be frozen. So one of my questions is, do I have to be on the account, and if I'm not, can the state still levy the business account since I'm a partner? If you guys need more info I'd be happy to oblige.

Thank you in advance for any help.

The other partner is my girlfriend and we live together if that matters at all. She would be the General Partner and take care of bookkeeping and such.

Array

you need legal advice from a lawyer.....not a response to a post from a stranger

every state and situation is most likely different...i doubt anyone here will have the answer...good luck!

i dont see how your girlfriends wages/profit would go to YOUR child support.....but then again a lawyer in California may say your hiding money and giving it to your girlfriend....there's a grey area here and if i was your ex-wife id look into it

Array

Thank you for the response and you're correct, I do need a lawyer, but getting advice from a "stranger" might give me a place to start.

Array

you could hide the income 100% by having your girlfriend be the 100% owner....the negative side is she could run off with the business and fire you since she's only your girlfriend and not a wife

i know someone who played all kinds of tricks to keep his child support low..

Array

Yea, this is going to be a tricky area, as in a business like this, I'll assume you are the photog, which means you somewhat have to be the "face".

You may want to get the arrears current, and everything smoothed over before venturing into business. Bottom line - if your ex sees you and your GF living well on the biz money, she's coming after it, regardless of whose name is on the paper (especially if its in arrears.)
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here