Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Effectiveness of a Mastermind Group

I have been part of a number of mastermind groups in the past and they tend to burn brightly then fizzle out in an anticlimax. People are excited at first, then (especially with new developments) they tend to get guarded and paranoid that you're going to steal their idea. I'm in medical research and I believe that collaboration can cure cancer, the problem is that everyone wants to be the first to "break it" so they don't collaborate.

Array

I'm sorry Mike, but I tend to disagree. I've been involved in groups for many years and find them to be fantastic. They rejuvenate you, help you to see more clearly, and get you motivated. Perhaps it's because the ones I belong to (and the ones I run) have a facilitator, an agenda, and are paid so they keep people coming back (to get their money's worth in the beginning). I can't say enough about the benefits of a GOOD mastermind program.
    Nancy Becher, Chief Everything Officer
    Business Success Unlimited -- where we help business connect | Collaborate | SUCCEED
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/bsuconnector LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/nancybecher

Hi,

I am not part of a mastermind group but I am a member of some business forums. I find them extremely helpful. I learn a lot by browsing and reading what members are sharing and here and there I also contribute to the discussion. In addition, running a business can be stressful and I feel that being part of a community reduces some of this stress. The only thing is not to be carried away and spend time you should be dedicating to your business...

Array

I've never been part of a mastermind group, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The closest thing I'd be interested in is an industry conference that lasts a few days. Anything that requires scheduled, regular attendance isn't appealing.

I'm with Harold on this one though, the internet and forums like these are a treasure trove of information. What I do like though is meeting up with friends every once in a while and catching up, talking business and whatever else in a casual environment...i.e. while watching a game on TV, at a bar or shooting some pool. I'm not a fan of the formal stuff.

But then again, different things work for different people. I'm sure some people thrive in that environment.
    Last edited by Gabe; 03-14-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Array

Since we have been discussing mastermind programs, I would like to invite you all to my next one which starts April 4th at 10 am. It is an online program where we call in via phone/internet. And while it is a discussion in which we all share, there is also an educational component. Normally, the charge for this is $45 for the 3 month commitment, if you tell me you're from this group, I'll let you sit in (and be a full member) this session (2 hours, 2x a month). Gabe, while this may not be something for you as you mentioned, it is NOT a mandatory meeting, but you lose out when you're not there, and the others who are there to support you lose out as well. Just another way of looking at it. Hope to "see" some of you there.
    Nancy Becher, Chief Everything Officer
    Business Success Unlimited -- where we help business connect | Collaborate | SUCCEED
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/bsuconnector LinkedIn: http://linkedin/in/nancybecher