Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balancing Cash Flow With Customer Relations

Array

My problem is that I like to treat people like I want to be treated. I will not pay an up front fee - period. Just my stubbornness. However, I have never not paid or paid late in my life – for anything. Makes it hard for me to ask for an up front fee as I won’t do it. I don’t mind paying in the middle – provided there is some defined and measurable event. But, I like to see what I get before I pay (and, I will pay).

Regarding credit cards – unless you run the card right away for approval, you don’t know if the card is bad, closed, or overextended – do I have this wrong. Plus, the costs (while not nearly as bad as a no-payer) are still huge.

I went to a Chevron station the other day to get gas. They charged my card $125 before I even pumped gas. After I pumped, I received a second receipt for the correct amount. But, the $125 showed up on my transaction history for a few days, until the Chevron batched and sent in the receipt. While everything worked out in the end, it was nerve racking waiting for the charge to be adjusted. Now, I will never go back to that Chevron station – even if their gas is $0.50 per gallon.

Maybe just have to change with the times. Ask for up front payments when times are good and not worry about it when times are bad. From what I get from this discussion, is to set up a process in the beginning and stick with it.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Array

yes i want to cut out the late payers.

but id rather have late payers right now than lose $75k in work in 2009

I need to make that $75k so i can help the goverment right now..without it they will lose $30k in taxes....i need to do my part

anyways.....i know of a credit card processing company which sets up a whole program for this situation...i hire them to handle it....they have experience with it..yes i will lose 5% or so....

in good times id dump these guys.....in bad times getting worse ill take precautions and cover my *ss and keep them....when i get busy they are the first to go....

new customers have completely dried up right now (typical for middle of winter in WI). If i dump them i cannot replace the income...i am still only working 100 hours a month on average..im not close to compasity.....this month its down to 75 hours in the field, next month im expecting 40(typical for Feb in WI-same as last year)

one of the late payers right now has always paid on time in the past...should i dump him for 4 on time payments and 1 late?.....he will dump me when i start sending him legal letters and contacting the homeowner....in 2 weeks thats whats going to happen.

The best way I've been able to lessen the problem of late payers has been our online payment system. For printed goods most companies are used to paying 50% up front, or COD. When they purchase goods online they are used to paying 100% up front, that's just the nature of ecommerce. Now more and more of my clients are using this system adn the only trouble I ever run into with late payers is from clients I acquired before our web site was functional and are still paying us COD because that's what they are used to doing with us.

Though we do have a nameless client out there who still owes us a few grand that we've completely written off as gone. They've shut their doors and the owner is bagging groceries to feed his family. I don't have the heart to chase him for it.

Array

huggytree - you stated "anyways.....i know of a credit card processing company which sets up a whole program for this situation...i hire them to handle it....they have experience with it..yes i will lose 5% or so...."

Can you expand on this a bit. Do you take a cash advance and then let them collect? Or, is it just part of their service as a processor? Are they good at collections? 100% - 90% - 80%? Do they anger your customers?

Sorry about all the questions, just interested.
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!