Thread: Starting a theater; Need feedback!

Default Starting a theater; Need feedback!

Hello, I have a business idea of starting a movie theater that features older films and has an overall old fashioned atmosphere. For example, we would have old time popcorn machines, soda fountain, etc. All the films would be projected in the original film format, not on digital. The whole concept of the business is to solve the problem that generations are disconnected. I'd like to see people of the older generation bring their children or grandchildren and enjoy themselves, while creating a sentimental experience for the both of them. If you'd be so kind to leave some feedback or even any way I can improve, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

cool idea, but how are you going to find a place to do this

Array

I love the idea! I have a few ideas: Other than just old films with an old fashioned atmosphere, you need to add something of value to the experience. Perhaps Q and A's or guest speakers or lecturers depending on the films you get and the people you can get access to. Maybe contact the film department of your local colleges and speak with professors. I think your target customers are cinefiles so you need to cater to that community a bit, maybe with midnight movie series a la Rocky Horror or themed events. You might want to get involved in the local filmmaking community too, maybe hosting film festivals and showing student films. I think, especially if you are putting the theater together you can possibly consult filmmakers. Film is one of the only mediums in which the creator is not involved in the presentation of their art, you have an opportunity to change that a bit. I know Michael Moore built his own theater in Michigan with this in mind. Unfortunately, while there is no replacement for real film, digital is pretty much unavoidable at this point especially if you want to embrace independent film and support your local filmmaking community. More generally I would take a look at what people like the Alamo Drafthouse are doing, adding to the experience, I really think they are setting a trend for the new movie-going experience. Finally one last longshot, pie in the sky suggestion is, if you are really going for the old fashioned feel, you could consider an organ player before the films, that's kind of a movie palace thing and I don't know the space you're working with but I've seen it at both the Castro and the Paramount in the SF bay area and it's really cool!
    Just a few things from the top of my head, hope it's helpful.

-Nathan,
    Small Business File